The Hispanic Roundtable and summit planning committee thanks our community sponsors and supporters for contributing to the Annual Latino Youth Summit.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor meets with University of Washington students to talk about My Beloved World, her memoir chronicling her journey from a housing project in the Bronx, New York, to her service as a federal judge in New York, and ultimately as a U.S. Supreme Court Justice. Drawing from student-submitted questions, UW Provost Ana Mari Cauce interviews the Justice about the formative experiences that shaped her into who she is today. Watch what Sotomayor has to say on a range of issues, including advice she would give to her 20-year-old self, handling racially-charged situations, what she is optimistic about, and much more.
Kathy Baros-Friedt received the Humanitarian Award from the Thurston Group of Washington State for her work in support of programs for youth and the homeless. She was presented the award by Barbara Clarkson, a charter member of the Thurston Group, Saturday, January 18, at the organization’s annual banquet in honor in the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Significant increase in both participants and schools
- – From 60 to 500+ participants annually
- – From a handful of schools to ~35
- Multiple program formats used and proved
- - We understand the minimum and average workshop offerings needed
- – We understand program components of keynotes, noon program, exhibitors, lunches, campuses
- – We have established main underlying themes of careers, education, healthy lifestyles
- The Summit is a valuable resource for five rural county Latino youth
- – We see an increase in interest each year
- – In their own words, the Summit has inspired youth in multiple ways
- – The program we provide is helping form life choices
To see the report please Click here
Hispanic Roundtable Treasurer, Bill Fishburn, was recently featured in a University of Washington College of Engineering publication. We’re grateful for Bill’s help in creating a pipeline of underrepresented minority students for higher education.